httpd-users mailing list archives

From Carl Brewer <c...@vivitec.com.au>
Subject [users@httpd] apache 2.0.47 mod_proxy : proxy: error reading status line from remote server
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 03:08:26 GMT

Hello

I'm in the process of moving a large web hosting site from
apache 1.3 to 2.0, and we use a lot of reverse proxying.

Our backend server's running mod_perl and other goodies, and
is 1.3.x, OS is RedHat linux 7.3 on i386.  The proxy
server and the backend server are running on the same box.

I'm seeing some interesting behaviour with mod_proxy on 2.0.47
connecting to the backend server.  I don't see this with
our 1.3.x mod_proxy server.

Occasionally attempts to connect to the backend server give me
an error I can't work out.

I see this in the error logs :

[Wed Oct 15 12:32:40 2003] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] proxy: error
reading status line from remote server www.foo.bar
[Wed Oct 15 12:32:40 2003] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] proxy: Error
reading from remote server returned by /content/content.pl

And the browser displays :

Proxy Error

The proxy server could not handle the request GET /content/content.pl.

Apache/2.0.47 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.47 OpenSSL/0.9.6b Server at www.foo.bar
Port 80

(relax about the openssl version, it's patched :) )

A reload then sees the correct page loaded - it's happening maybe
every 20 or 30 connections?

I did a google search for the error string and found some references
to some bugs in 2.0.32, and a config issue for enhydra, but they both
seemed unrelated to this issue.  Could this be a problem with the
backend server misbehaving moreso than the proxy?  One reason we're
moving to 2.0 is for some of the better granularity with
control of mod_proxy (timeouts and such) as we sometimes see
erratic behaviour (load induced, we suspect) and a number of
proxy errors connecting to the backend server.

my apache2 is compiled with :

  $ ./configure --enable-deflate --enable-proxy --enable-proxy-connect
--enable-proxy-http --enable-ssl --enable-rewrite --enable-cache
--enable-mem-cache

and is configured as follows for the virtual host in question :

     RewriteEngine     on
     RewriteLogLevel     0
     # RewriteLogLevel   1
     # RewriteLog /tmp/a2_rewrite.log
     RewriteRule       ^/errorreporting - [last]

     # Skip info still on old (non-mod_perl) Admin system
     RewriteCond       %{REQUEST_URI} !^/admin/admin2
     RewriteRule       ^/(.*\.pl)$  http://www.foo.bar:10080/$1   [P,L]
#    RewriteRule       ^/index.html(.*)$
http://www.foo.bar:10080/index.pl$1   [P,L]
     RewriteRule       ^/S.{16}/(.*)$  /$1
     #NoCache           *
     CacheDisable        /
     ProxyPassReverse  /  http://www.foo.bar:10080/

Has anyone seen this before and knows what I'm doing wrong?  Is
there any more info I need to provide in this question?

thanks

Carl

--
Vivitec Pty. Ltd.