httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Bryson, Laura" <laura.bry...@osn.state.oh.us>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] new to apache - need help with timeouts
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:56:51 GMT
I'm also interested in some performance variable tricks.  We have a similar
issue with performance ... pages that load 200 or more rows seem to choke
our web server.  We've optimized the SQL queries and split the queries down
to separate page views so that it returns the rowset in 1 second or less in
Query Analyzer but the page takes 25 seconds to load -- down from 4 minutes
for the entire rowset (600 rows).  This is an internal page only for grant
administration so it's not the end of the world now ... but it bring the
entire server to a crawl, maxing the CPU out at 100% to process the page.

We're running Apache 2.0.47 and PHP 4.3.2 on W2K, PIII 1.4MHz, 1.3 GB RAM
... database is M$ SQL Server 7.0 cluster on quad Pentium III Xeon /700Mhz
with 2 GB RAM.

Laura J Bryson
laura.bryson@osn.state.oh.us
Ohio SchoolNet Commission
http://www.osn.state.oh.us

-----Original Message-----
From: David Coleman [mailto:dave_coleman_007@cox.net]
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 12:09 PM
To: Apache Users
Subject: [users@httpd] new to apache - need help with timeouts

I have a PHP page that for some reason is taking an ungodly long time to
execute.  I suspect that this is simply b/c I'm running Apache 1.3 / MySQL
4.013-nt, PHP 4, Zend studio 3.0, and MySQL GUI on a 266 MhZ win2K server.
(Yes people, I know I'm choking the poor thing, but I can't afford a new
server right now.)

My question to the group is:

Does anyone know how I can increase my timeouts on page generation?  Halfway
through the rowset, the page stops generating and returns to the browser cut
off at whatever point the server (apache, PHP or MySQL, I dunno which) gave
up and decided the page was taking too long.  It seems to be a 90 second
timeout imbedded somewhere in my configuration, but I have no idea where to
look to change this value to unlimited, or maybe to 600 seconds or something
more reasonable for the hideous rowsets that my project is dealing with.

Anyone know some tricks to help me tweak my performance variables?

Thanks a bunch everyone!

Dave Coleman
Software Engineer
TeraByte Software Solutions LLC