httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Sternbergh, Cornell" <>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache / Websphere Open HTTP connection failed
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:53:42 GMT
Hi everybody

First, my apologies if this seems to be on the wrong list.  I've got a bit of a problem with
an Apache/Websphere combination, and have no clue what I'm doing regarding Apache and Websphere.
 I'm hoping that someone can offer a solution, or at least point me in the direction of one.

Short version:
Our site works just fine using Domino and Websphere application server.  It doesn't work with
about 1% of our users when we run it with an Apache server instead of Domino.

The problem is Applets not loading, the exceptions we're getting are:
  "EOFException: Unexpected end of ZLIB input stream",
  "java.lang.ClassNotFoundException" and
  " open HTTP connection failed"

Server is running Win2K, Websphere 4.something (4.2, I think) and the Apache is the IBM HTTP
Server that came with Websphere (again I don't know the version).

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
Cornell Sternbergh

Long version:
Our Web servers, a primary and backup, were set up by the contractors who did most of the
Web development (Java servlets/applets).  Our management demanded that Domino would be the
HTTP server, even if the project did not require anything of the HTTP server other than passing
files back and forth.  The contractors went to a lot of effort to get that to work.  

Recently our client/server folks had need to replace the one server (backup).  They got a
new machine and installed Apache and Websphere on it, in the hope of demonstrating Apache's
superior functioning and, of course, lower price.  Neither we nor they have any particular
expertise in Apache.

Websphere was installed, ostensibly, in the same fashion as the primary (which has Domino).
 They installed the same WAR (Websphere Archive) on the backup machine as is on the primary.
 We swapped the backup (Apache) for the primary (Domino), letting the outside world get to
it and it works fine for some 99% of our users.  But for some, less than a dozen, the applets
won't load.  One sent a copy of thier console messages, the exceptions are listed above.

I will also point out that her console messages indicate that she's running behind a proxy,
although I don't know if this is true for all the users who can't load the applets.  And,
when she accesses our normal production site (Domino), everything's fine.

Also, her IT folks indicate she's using a NCD (Network Computing Device), which uses Windows
Terminal Server to connect to the actual Win2K machine on which is running IE 6.0.

I might point out that the people who actually have access to the servers, and install the
software, don't necessarily know anything about what they're installing.  Those who might
have a clue about what's going, aren't allowed access, except under the most stringent conditions.

The process for troubleshooting this may entail going to another building, standing in a small
room with lots of racks of servers, having a client/server guy log on, and watch my every
key stroke while I try to figure out what's wrong.  I'd kinda like to have a clue as to which
keys to stroke, where I might look for leads, and like that.  An error log is kept, I know,
but I'm figuring that the errors are actually on the client side, and hence wouldn't show
up server side.  

One of the contractors who set it up in the first place, and is no longer on the project,
suggested we check the MTU size, which we did and it's coded appropriately on both servers.
 He's also suggested setting up a network monitor to observe what is actuallybeing passed.
 I'm trying to arrange that now.

The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
   "   from the digest:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message