httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Referrer Behind Proxy
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:31:20 GMT
On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 08:53:50 -0400, Fenderbosch, Eric wrote:

> > Is this a reverse proxy that is transparent to the client?

> Yes.

Then I think it works as it should.

> >The referer points to the address of the server the client is was
> >referred from. When the client communicates with a transparent
> >reverse proxy I would expect it to put the proxy's address in the
> >server field.

> So, you are saying that the referrer should be unchanged, but the
> server field should have the address of the proxy?

I'm saying that the client decides what to put in the Referrer field
(in the HTTP headers for the request). The normal thing for the
client to put in that field is the URL it was referred from.

The client is talking with the reverse proxy, so the URLs it was
referred from (the URL it puts in the Referrer field) has the proxy
servers address.

I do not know wich "server field" you refer to above.

> >If you resolv those headers, you should get the IP address of the
> >server the client talked to.

> Which headers are you referring (heh) to?

The Referrer field of in the HTTP headers the client sends with its
request.

When acting as a reverse proxy Apache pass most of the HTTP headers
unchanged to the actual server, so my guess was that it simply passes
on the Referrer field just as the client sends it.

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org