httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proxy garbles "special" characters
Date Sun, 05 Oct 2003 20:16:32 GMT
On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 22:15:53 +0200, Peter Bissmire wrote:

> I find certain sites are proxied with garbled "special" characters
> (accented letters, apostrophes etc.).

Garbled in what way?

> The problem appears to be limited to IIS sites (.asp pages).
> My guess is that the "specials" are being dished up as
> 7-bit pairs and that these are "split" by the Apache proxy.

I think you should start with checking this guess. Fetch a document
directly from one of the IIS servers and look at both the headers and
the data. See if the actual data is send in the format specified by
the headers. Check both the http and the html headers.

Then fetch the same document from the Apache proxy, and compare all
the headers and data.

With 7-bit pairs I suppose you mean double-byte characters of some
kind. Are you guessing it is sending double-byte unicode data or
using one of Microsofts double-byte codepages?

Anyway, what do you mean when you think they are "split" by the
Apache proxy? Two bytes are two bytes. If they arrive in the right
order they arrive in the right order. If they are in two different
TCP packages, that doesn't matter. So I really don't understand what
it is you're guseeing...

Maybe you have the URL for a page that gets "garbled" characters?

> Can anyone indicate a configuration fix for this?

So far, we don't know wether it's the Apache proxy or the IIS servers
that's doing something bad, and we don't know how any of them are
configured...

Regards
/Jonas
--