httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache very slow on Windows 2000
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2003 07:45:13 GMT
On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:31:23 +0100, Harry Sufehmi wrote:

> I'm starting to suspect that this is a problem with the Windows
> TCP/IP stack though.

Win2K should be able to output data at high speed using TCP. It could be some settings of
course, but it's easy to check this. Just use some other protocol that runs ontop of TCP (FTP
for exampe, but not SMB) and see what speed you get.

If everything is slow, check the actual network. Check the cables (a bad cable on a 100Mbps
connection can make things *very* slow), check that you're really using 100Mbps, etc.

Also check that the machine is up to the task (meaning it's not running out of physical memory,
that the files are not stored with compression on in a machine with a slow CPU, etc, etc).

> Can anyone confirm this suspicion,

If you suspect that the sending lots of data with TCP on Win2K allways goes slowly, then you
won't get it confirmed as that's simply not the case.

If you suspect that there's a problem with the TCP/IP stack in you machine particular, then
only you can confirm it.

If you suspect that there's some other problem with Windows TCP/P stack, I'll confirm that.
:-)

> or better yet, share the solution?

The solution depends on the problem. Start with some general troubleshooting and see if you
can find the problem. Finding out wether the problem is only there for Apache or if it's there
for all data transfers is a good start.

Regards
/Jonas

--