httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject [users@httpd] Avoid logging errors successfully handled by ErrorDocument
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 12:42:31 GMT
Hello,

I'm using a system where images in a special directory are automatically
created when first requested. I do this by setting ErrorDocument 404 to
script that creates the image and deliver it with a 200 status code.

However, these requests still results in a line in the error log, which is
annoying (it grows as fast as the access log). In the access log, they will
have a 200 status code. I've been thinking about it, as well as searched
around but been unable to come up with how to avoid these request being
logged. A

On a related note, is there any way to "pass back" an error, eg. File Not
Found, to Apache from a dynamic ErrorDocument? This would be useful when
using an ErrorDocument in order to try to fix the error, and when unable to,
let Apache deal with it as the ErrorDocument didn't exist. Could this be
achieved in some way?

Regards,
Robert Andersson