httpd-users mailing list archives

From hunter <theanti...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache on windowz
Date Fri, 31 Oct 2003 00:37:19 GMT
On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 18:20, david jones wrote:
> i am in need of  Apache http server for windowz
> a self installing   .exe
> but i cannot find it at  apache.org
> can someone be as kind as to point me in the right direction please
>
> thanks
> David Jones
> SkyLineWebserver inc.

David,

As Ian kindly pointed out you can get pre-built Apache for Windows
binaries from either of my two web servers.  I have been providing these
for over a year.

http://hunter.campbus.com
http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter/apache

These binaries are SSL capable and with the latests build I have also
compiled mod_deflate (zlib) so you can use it as well.

The SSL components are built with MASM not C - faster.

How to install one of these zips?

Quite simple, Apache has everything you need, built-in. My instructions
are for Apache 2.0.xx, but Apache 1.3.28 is quite similar.

1. created a directory for Apache - such as c:\apache

2. unzip an Apache version into this directory.

3. you may have to make a few changes to c:\apache\conf\httpd.conf, but
I build it into c:\apache so it will probably start without any other
changes - you will certainly need to make changes to suit yourself. SSL
and mod_defalte are not pre-configured.

4. from within a console (command line) and inside to the c:\apache\bin
directory run the following command.

execute apache.exe -h
...then you see the things you can do with apache.exe

then execute apache.exe -k install
...apache is now installed as a service

you can start it with 'apache.exe -k start' or 'net start apache2'

That's it, very simple.

To configuring apache use the online documentation.  There are so many
options to choose from I cannot give you steps for this.

However, if you mess up the config you will likely have errors
installing - giving you a line in the conf.  Don't forget to check
c:\apache\logs\error.log for clues and Apache logs to the event log as
well.

If you cannot understand why apache does not start, always go back to
the command line and start it from there. You will get very useful clues
as to why it won't start.

If you can't find your answers in the doc's then ask on the list.
Someone will try to help you. I have very little experience with
configuring SSL, so please don't ask me how to set it up.

Chris Lewis

P.S.
The new versions of Apache do not have anything that affects Window
versions, so I have not made the very latest builds.  Perhaps later on I
will sync up but you can use the builds that are on my sites with out
worry.