httpd-users mailing list archives

From hunter <theanti...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] users web page
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2003 01:36:25 GMT
On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 21:03, kent emia wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 16:57, JPN. Sumarno wrote:
> > On Tue, 7 Oct 2003, kent emia wrote:

Sorry about jumping into this thread...
And, I just rejoined the list and do not have your previous posts.

I use Debain and Windows but not Red Hat so I may be out of line.

> > > the server is based on redhat9 and im using apache my domain page lies
> > > on the default value of apache /var/www/html while the per user is on
> > > /home/userHome/public_html

This is correct ... user dir '~' is defined in httpd.conf as:

UserDir public_html

Control access to the directories is defined as:

<Directory /home/*/public_html>

Options ...

</Directory>

> > Kent, I advice you to move the user directories to /var/www/ because the
> > mainweb page ussualy place in this directori. So if you move your user
> > web file, their file will shown as http://yourdomain.ph/~hisname

I disagree.  User files should stay where httpd.conf says they are.

You should put a default page in /var/www

If you go to my domain http://tor.ath.cx/ you will get my joke page -
IIS not properly installed (It is a Debian Server running Apache).

If you go to http://tor.ath.cx/~hunter you will get my personal page - I
am a user on the server.  When I ftp to my server I am in /home/hunter
and there is a directory called public_html and that is where my web
site is.

> > Is this what you mean ?
>
> yes this is what i wanted to be the output http://yourdomain.ph/~hisname
> but by default, isn't it the home of the users is /home/username ???
>
> as i've read some of the docs they are saying that it should be the path
> of the users home..
>
> but my problem is that it cannot be seen from the internet but within
> the LAN i can browse to my page

I think you have something else wrong... like permissions perhaps.

cd into your /home/kent directory and type chown kent:kent * -R

Perhaps that will fix it ... you probably copied your files in as root
or you assigned them to wwa-data.

Normally Apache will not let you symlink unless they are owned by the
user - this is also defined in httpd.conf

> my page is http://www.cdr.com.ph/~kent/
>

> > Regards
> > Marno

BTW I accessed your domain ... it is very slow ??? DSL

hunter