httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Re: {SPAM 03.1} [users@httpd] mod_proxy: problem with basic auth to backend server
Date Fri, 24 Oct 2003 05:50:23 GMT
Joshua Slive wrote:
> > I used to think so myself, but it is indeed "defined" in RFC 2396:
>
> RFC2396 defines the general format for the URI.  How it is applied to HTTP
> is defined in RFC 2616.

I stand corrected. I see now that it was a somewhat hasty conclusion,
triggered by someone (on this list, I think), claiming successful use of the
http://user:pass@host/ format in a Location header, and a quick (and
incomplete) glance at RFC 2616 where it said it "adopts the definitions of
[...] 'absoluteURI' [...] from [RFC 2396]".

If I would have bothered reading the following section, 3.2.2 http URL, I
would have found:

   http_URL = "http:" "//" host [ ":" port ] [ abs_path [ "?" query ]]

Which, obviously, does not include any userinfo part.

Yet, I am reluctant to call it a browser hack, as it is seems valid in an
absolute URI, while it is the client's responsibility to parse and translate
it for the scheme at hand.

Regards,
Robert Andersson