httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Ron Lang" <RL...@randew.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Virtual Hosting Test
Date Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:28:51 GMT
I'm a newbie to the world of networking and Apache, and I've got a 'duh' question. I've successfully
setup a network using a Linksys DSL/Cable Router (IP 192.168.1.1) and two computers (IPs 192.168.1.10x
and 192.168.1.10x). One computer is a Dell with Red Hat 9.0/Apache 2.0 and the other is an
iMac 10.2.6. Both can access the internet simultaneously using a dynamically assigned IP address
from SBC DSL (and 2 static DNS IPs). Apache is started and I can request the 'Test Page' from
my Dell at <http://localhost/>.

Here's my problem. I'm trying to test from my iMac as a remote on the intranet. But I can't
successfully request the 'Test Page'. I get the message, "failed to connect to server" when
I enter my virtual server name in my browser. I have configured Apache HTTP Server using the
NameVirtualHost and VirtualHost directives, and I'm resolving my ServerName to the IP address
(192.168.1.1) of the router. What configuration (or point) I'm I missing? I'm using examples
from the httpd.apache.org. documentation. One suspicion I have is maybe where I've got my
httpd.conf file located. It's currently in /etc/httpd/conf in my username directory.

Thanks for any help - Ron Lang

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED
AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, AND EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER
APPLICABLE LAW. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, forwarding, or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the
sender immediately by e-mail or telephone, and delete the original message immediately. Thank
you.