httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Ms-excel downloads works with netscape 7.1but fails when tried for IE6.0 in Apache 3.27
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 06:37:12 GMT
Mike Klein wrote:
> I have these same kinds of problems with Internet Explorer. On my site I
> have a "live" link to a .php sample, as well as a .txt symlink to the
> same file for downloading. By specifying .txt as file extension (there
> are of course mime mappings for this), a web browser client (I believe)
> should handle it as text. Mozilla-based browsers do this fine and show
> text of php source in browser...but not Explorer...it brings up this
> garbled munge of text and half-processed php...

Do you mean that the URI to it something like /path/to/sample.php.txt ? And
that IE tries to render it as text/html rather than displaying it as
text/plain?

This happens because IE doesn't really listen to what type the web server
says a resource is, but has some weird/mysterious/random algorithm based
part on the Content-type, part on the URI, and part, seemingly, on rand().
The workaround might be to adjust the URI.

Regards,
Robert Andersson