httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help needed with Apache 2 on RH9
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:09:00 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Brooks" <malloc@twcny.rr.com>
To: "apache_list" <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2003 6:47 PM
Subject: [users@httpd] Help needed with Apache 2 on RH9

> Hi there...

Hi!  I see no one responded so I was unsucessfully trying to duplicate the
error.  I'm on Debian, not Redhat though.  I set up a VirtualHost with this
similar Directory block in there.

    <Directory "/path/to/web/site/cgi-bin">
        Options ExecCGI
        AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
        AllowOverride AuthConfig
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

Then I wrote a very simple C program.  I had at first tried two times
"\r\n", as I believe that is the proper character sequence after the
headers, and then tried just two "\n" to see if it broke anything.  Have you
ruled out the code by using such a simple program as this?

/*
 * hw.c
 *
 * Hello World cgi-bin program
 */

#include <stdio.h>

int main ( void )
{
    // printf( "Content-Type: text/plain\r\n" );
    // printf( "\r\n" );
    printf( "Content-Type: text/plain\n" );
    printf( "\n" );
    printf( "Hello World!\n" );

    return( 0 );
}

I wasn't sure if the .cgi extension was somehow being treated like a perl
script by Apache, so I expected the AddHandler cgi-script .cgi to be causing
the problems, but I was apparently incorrect, as this didn't have any ill
effects.  But just to rule out this on your server, have you tried renaming
the file to something without a .cgi ending, just to see what might happen?
My sample program runs fine for me when I rename from hw.cgi to hw.  The
Options ExecCGI is usually sufficient.  It says that any request to a file
in this directory should get executed as if it were a program.  The
AddHandler is usually another technique used to allow Perl scripts to run
outside of the cgi-bin, so it shouldn't really be necessary.  Also, I didn't
see any ScriptAliasMatch directive for that "/home/*/WWW/cgi-bin".  Also
note, you should put your Directory "/paths" in double quotes.

So maybe try some other things.  If anyone else has suggestions feel free to
chime in.  :-)

Leif