httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost help
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 18:16:03 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gusti Benawi" <Benawi@gmx.de>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] VirtualHost help

> > > b.mydomain.com pointed the the web server?
> > > How do i do that?
> > Ahh, this helps.  :)  Is mydomain.com a registered name on the internet
> > and
> > you have gone to the registrar's website and logged in and specified
> > primary
> > and secondary DNS servers?
> yes, mydomain.com is a registered name on the internet,
> i have also specified the primary and secondary DNS servers.
>
> > If yes, then you have to have A or CNAME records added such that the new
> > host names a.mydomain.com, b.mydomain.com, c.mydomain.com, etc., are all
> > going to resolve to the IP address of your webserver.
> what is A or CNAME records?
>
> how can i do that, that a.mydomain.com, b.mydomqin.com etc., are all going
> to resolve to the IP address of my webserver?
>
> is it done by the sysadmin?

Yes, the sysadmin for the primary (and secondary) dns servers listed (same
person likely).  You'll need to ask for an A (address) record to point
a.myname.myuni.edu to your IP (and often a PTR record to point the IP back
to your hostname, but this is mostly important only for reverse lookups, for
mailservers).  They may say no.  It's their IPs, their domain and their DNS,
so it's their call.  Some unis may be more flexible than others.  Some may
have strict policies to prevent a flood of customary DNS requests coming in
each semester, and then only to have to flush them out every semester.

It's usually a good idea to keep the DNS with the people who own the IPs
that your server uses, so you can be sure to get the PTR if you need mail
servicves (only the people who own the IP can create the PTR for it).  But
if you were to register your own domain on the internet, you could use some
outside party for your DNS servers (someone mentioned http://zoneedit.com/
on the list this week), and point them back to your IP.  You won't get the
PTR record but it's not critical if you're just learning for a few test
sites.

Leif