httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Rewrite question
Date Tue, 21 Oct 2003 04:12:10 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:
> Well... only if dummy.server.com points to xxx.server.com in DNS.
> The point about the default VH in the original example I gave is that it
> is not supposed to be the ServerName of a real host. For simplicity,
> it is better if the ServerName DOES NOT match a real hostname in
> DNS.

In that case you will only be able to have one "real" host (ie.
www.myserver.com), as any request except the one matching the "real" host
will get redirected to it. Perhaps that is what the OP intended, or not.
Whether the ServerName of the redirecting virtual host should or should not
be a FQDN, I don't know.

The DNS aspect must of course be handled as well, and have a wild-card CNAME
entry to point to the real hostname. I got the feeling that Milan already
had that working so all /.*myserver\.com$/ requests went to his host, but he
wished all to redirected to a common hostname.

Regards,
Robert Andersson