httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Leif W" <warp-...@usa.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HostnameLookups Off yet hostnames being logged
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:27:51 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Warhurst, SI (Spencer) " <S.I.Warhurst@rl.ac.uk>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 11:01 AM
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] HostnameLookups Off yet hostnames being logged

> > > For some reason, since about midday on the 1st Oct Apache 2
> > on our test
> > > server has been logging the hostnames instead of IP
> > addresses in access.log.
> > >
> > > I've not installed/re-installed Apache and have never changed the
> > > HostnameLookups setting, which is set to Off. The only
> > things I can think of
> > > that I've been playing around with in the past few weeks,
> > config-wise, are
> > > rewriterules (same as on the live server, which is OK) and
> > errordocuments.
> > >
> > > Any ideas what could be causing this?
> >
> > This is almost always caused by using using an Allow/Deny directive
> > involving a hostname.  Apache needs to do the lookup in order
> > to verify
> > the hostname, and hence has it available for logging.
>
> Ahhh, I had put lines like this in the .htaccess:
>
> allow from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx # test machine
>
> thinking it would ignore everything after the comment... but it doesn't -
> oops!

Hi,

I assume that the stuff after the # is ignored.  But I'm guessing that in
order to figure out the allow status, the IP address's hostname is looked
up?  Is this correct?  And then since Apache has this hostname available, it
just deices to use it in the logfiles?  Is there any way to completely
disable hostnames in logfiles, and just use the IP only?  Say for example I
actually want all IP addresses in my logs, and not intermixed hostnames and
IPs.

Leif