httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Dougie Leaver" <stea...@dougiel.f2s.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Realm Protection
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 08:25:34 GMT
   Clint, as a very new user of Apache 2 I can offer my twopenorth worth,

> I have the following in my Apache 1.3.27 httpd.conf file. But, I can still
> freely access documents in the "files" directory that are supposed to be
> protected. What's wrong here?
>

> <Directory /Volumes/Data/WebSites/www.nunn-better.com/5jc19p/files>
> Options None
> Order allow,deny
> Allow from all
   Why have this here, it appears to allow every one access ?.

> AuthName "NUNN-BETTER"
> AuthType Basic
> AuthUserFile /Library/Tenon/System/Configuration/users.txt
> AuthGroupFile /Library/Tenon/System/Configuration/groups.txt
> require user chatfield croyer dhughes dverdeyen dwadsworth
> </Directory>
   Then you try to DENY all except authorised users ?. And you seem to be
trying to use three types of authorisation. Surely you only need one group,
or one file or just the list of users. Ive appended my own config which
seems to work OK using a password file in 2.0.47.

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs/private">
AuthType Basic
AuthName "Restricted Files"
AuthUserFile C:/.htpasswd
Require valid-user
</Directory>

This is straight from the Apache online guide but as I said Im a new user so
could be wrong !
Thanks to those who keep Apache going and free, with the coming of broadband
I can now run my own web server.
  DougieLeaver