httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Andersson" <rob...@profundis.nu>
Subject [users@httpd] Content negotiation, caching and Internet Explorer
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:37:07 GMT
[insert polite intro here]

I'm having trouble with Internet Explorer not caching negotiated content. I
wanted to use URIs without the extensions and rely on MultiViews to deliver
the correct file. It works fine, but Internet Explorer does not cache them,
and I get status 200 all the time. Mozilla do cache, and leave nice 304's in
the log.

I understand that content negotiation and caching are a problematic topic,
but everywhere I use MultiViews, I want "normal" caching to occur.
I very much doubt that Apache is at fault here, but I'm interested if
someone can suggest a server-side workaround that will cause Internet
Explorer to cache the resource. When looking in the cache, the
content-negotiated resources are not there.

My setup is very basic, the only setting I have in regard to this is:

    Options +MultiViews

I tried to set "CacheNegotiatedDocs On", knowing it's only for HTTP/1.0
clients, but it had no effect.

The request and response for the first ever and the subsequent requests are
identical (see below).

Should I try to tamper with what headers are sent in the response, and if so
which ones?

Regards,
Robert Andersson