httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Norman Peelman" <npeel...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] apache 1.3.26 freezes
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:19:43 GMT
Hi,

I am running a debian/unstable System as an intranet server. Apart from
several apaches there are the following main applications installed: samba
3.0.0-final, java sdk, tomcats, veritas agent, mysql 4, mnogosearch, php4,
typo3.

About 1-3x per 12h of uptime apache processes freeze. These processes can
not be killed with a "-9" kill signal, which makes the situation extremely
annoying. ps aux show s/thing like this

www-data 13227 0.2 1.1 14720 10016 ? D 16:45 0:00 /usr/sbin/apache

The "D" signifying, that the process is waiting for I/O, I think. Which
probably is, why they can't be killed.

Has anyone come across this behaviour before?

Thanks,
Rainer

Not exactly - but I do run an 'unstable' system of my own (for some reason
my system doesn't renew ip correctly and loses connection) so I use PHP to
test the connection randomly once a minute and if it cannot ping my default
gateway I have it reboot the system.