httpd-users mailing list archives

From "A. Gideonse" <agideo...@planet.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 23:14:26 GMT
> My ISP allows me to use a server. I did it for years and now
> suddenly after installing a new apache and firewall my server
> doesnt work anymore.

That "and firewall" might be important you know.

>>>I used Norton before and it worked fine with Apache, after installing
ZoneAlarm and the new apache my server didnt work anymore. So I installed
Norton again but it didnt help.

And: Have you checked that connections from the net really are
reaching your machine? Even if they have done so for years,
coincidences does happened and you ISP *might* have changed behaviour
at the same time as you changed your software (not probable, but easy
to check).

>>>No changes at my ISP.

Of course, you have allready checked your firewall logs for
connections to port 80. Did you find failed such connection attempts
in them?

>>> I have a lot of logs like this one:

Details: TCP non-syn/non-ack packet on invalid connection. Packet has been
dropped
Source IP address: 81.59.68.74
Destination IP address: ARNO_COMP-i1(80.60.18.78)
TCP Source Port: 1214
TCP Destination Port: 3849
TCP Message Flags: 0x00000010

When I connect to my server with my own computer it says that my
'permit-rule' works:
Details: Rule "Apache 80 Rule" permitted
(ARNO_COMP-i1(80.60.18.78),http(80))
Outbound TCP connection
Local address,service is (0.0.0.0,4510)
Remote address,service is (ARNO_COMP-i1(80.60.18.78),http(80))
Process name is "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

> My server was down the last few hours because nobody can use it
> right now, that's also the reason why you can't connect.

I thought you said noone could connect to it from outside you LAN,
even when it is up. Did I misunderstand something?

>>> Someone tried to connect after I changed my conf file because someone
told me that that might help. But my server was down, so the online check
would always fail (even if the server would be online again).

> Anyway, ill make a rule to
> permit communication and ill start my server again.

Try makiing a rule to permit receiving incoming connections from any
address.

>>> Made a rule to permit communication from and to my computer, from any
computer on port 80.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:15:57 +0200, A. Gideonse wrote:

> My ISP allows me to use a server. I did it for years and now
> suddenly after installing a new apache and firewall my server
> doesnt work anymore.

That "and firewall" might be important you know.

And: Have you checked that connections from the net really are
reaching your machine? Even if they have done so for years,
coincidences does happened and you ISP *might* have changed behaviour
at the same time as you changed your software (not probable, but easy
to check).

Of course, you have allready checked your firewall logs for
connections to port 80. Did you find failed such connection attempts
in them?

> My server was down the last few hours because nobody can use it
> right now, that's also the reason why you can't connect.

I thought you said noone could connect to it from outside you LAN,
even when it is up. Did I misunderstand something?

> Apache got the rights to have communication with the internet so
> the ports must be open.

Why must it be open?

Most firewalls distinguish between rights to connect to the oustide
world and rights to accept connections from the outside world. Have
you told your firewall to give Apache has the right to accept
connections from the Internet to port 80?

> Isn't it true that port 80 is by default open to view pages?

In most firewalls, yes. But also, in most firewalls port 80 is by
default closed for serving pages.

Remember, Apache does not request pages, it servers them. Apache does
not utilise prescience in order to connect to browsers that wants a
page, it sits silently and waits for *incoming* connections from
browsers.

> Anyway, ill make a rule to
> permit communication and ill start my server again.

Try makiing a rule to permit receiving incoming connections from any
address.

Regards
/Jonas
--