httpd-users mailing list archives

From "A. Gideonse" <agideo...@planet.nl>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly
Date Sun, 26 Oct 2003 21:48:04 GMT
Well, after I got my ports open I tried to make a hole for my apache and see
if that worked. After 30 minutes of running between a standalone computer
(with dialup) and the networks computers I got it working. I guess my server
now works correct. The only thing that I noticed was that a scan resulted
this:

HTTP web services publish web pages. A misconfigured web server can not only
offer an attacker needed information about his target, but it can allow for
various security breaches.

I think that my server is configured in a right way, but I'm not sure. Can
somebody pls give me a confirmation that this is normal? Or that I need to
do something to ensure my security.

I want to thank everybody who helped me with this apache problem. I really
appreciate the help.

.Arno

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonas Eckerman" <jonas_lists@frukt.org>
To: <users@httpd.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 27, 2003 2:28 AM
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Apache fails to do it's job properly

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 13:17:53 +0100, A. Gideonse wrote:

> All portst are stealthed without my firewall running.... How is
> that possible...

This really hasn't got anything to do with Apache...

Are you sure you completely got rid if the other FireWall?
If you're running WinXP: Have you made sure that Windows built in
firewall isn't running?
Are you sure your ISP isn't firewalling your machine?
Are you sure that you have the IP address you think you have?

Start by checking this stuff. If it doesn't help, I'd suggest finding
group wher IP issues on Windows discussed, or maybe calling your ISPs
support if they are willing to give free support for this kind of
things.

If you own the copy of Norton Firewall you installed, you could also
ask Symantec's support.

/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org