httpd-users mailing list archives

From Andy Todd <and...@halfcooked.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Re: Help installing mod_gzip on AIX
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:08:31 GMT
lee fellows wrote:

Thanks, you've hit the nail on the head. Which then of course raises an
issue. We don't have xlc installed. I believe that apxs expects it
because the binary rpm package was created from an environment which had
that compiler available.

I don't for a minute think that I can just substitute 'xlc' with 'gcc'
where appropriate (in /opt/freeware/apache/sbin/apxs) is going to work.

In fact, I tried that and got another lovely error. I suspect that I may
be on a hiding to nothing trying to compile an extension module using
gcc when the core system was compiled using xlc. I'd be happy to hear
otherwise though ;-)

For the curious, a straight substitution of xlc for gcc produces this error;

# make APXS=/opt/freeware/apache/sbin/apxs
         /opt/freeware/apache/sbin/apxs
-Wc,-Wall,-O3,-fomit-frame-pointer,-pipe
-c mod_gzip.c mod_gzip_debug.c mod_gzip_compress.c -o mod_gzip.so
gcc -O2 -DAIX=43 -DUSE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT -U__STR__
-DAIX_BIND_PROCESSOR
-DUSE_HSREGEX -DSHARED_MODULE -I/opt/freeware/apache/include
-Wall,-O3,-fomit-frame-pointer,-pipe  -c mod_gzip.c
gcc -O2 -DAIX=43 -DUSE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT -U__STR__
-DAIX_BIND_PROCESSOR
-DUSE_HSREGEX -DSHARED_MODULE -I/opt/freeware/apache/include
-Wall,-O3,-fomit-frame-pointer,-pipe  -c mod_gzip_debug.c
gcc -O2 -DAIX=43 -DUSE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT -U__STR__
-DAIX_BIND_PROCESSOR
-DUSE_HSREGEX -DSHARED_MODULE -I/opt/freeware/apache/include
-Wall,-O3,-fomit-frame-pointer,-pipe  -c mod_gzip_compress.c
ld -H512 -T512 -bhalt:4 -bM:SRE -bnoentry
-bI:/opt/freeware/apache/libexec/httpd
.exp -lc -o mod_gzip.so mod_gzip_compress.o mod_gzip_debug.o mod_gzip.o
-o mod_gzip.so
ld: 0711-244 ERROR: No csects or exported symbols have been saved.
apxs:Break: Command failed with rc=8

Regards,
Andy