httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Using SuExec with mod_vhost_alias
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:56:11 GMT

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Robert Andersson wrote:

> jess@digitalssg.net wrote:
> > It's unfortunate that suexec does not work with vhost_alias.
>
> This lies outside the scope of SuExec's problem domain. As Jushua said, the
> purpose of SuExec is to run script under the user/group given to a
> VirtualHost.
>
> Without too much knowledge about it, I would guess that the change would be
> more appropriate in mod_vhost_alias, so that it would provide a mechanism to
> set a uid/gid for every host necessary and thus mimic a normal virtual host
> including the uid/gid, which SuExec then could use.

Note that this would require some mechanism for mapping from virtual host
to userid.  And I can't imagine any such mechanism which would be flexible
enough, and at the same time secure enough to use.  mod_vhost_alias
depends too much on user input, which is something that suexec needs to be
very careful about.

> > Does cgiwrap work for all cgi? shell, perl and C?

Yes.

Joshua.