httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] newbie question
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:22:51 GMT

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, tti01@earthlink.net wrote:
> I assume the default location to look is doc root when pointing a browser
> to http://server.mydomain.com.
> If not useable index.html in doc root, does Apache search top down in
> httpd.conf for Alias or other directives where there is a useable
> index.html?
> If not, how would Apache display a page from another different path is this
> scenario?

Apache doesn't go searching all over the place for a webpage.  That could
lead to strange results.  It follows a very specific set of rules
discussed here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/urlmapping.html
If a DirectoryIndex (see that directive) is not found in the targetted
directory, a "file not found" (error 404) is returned.

Joshua.