httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cgi default file ?
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:02:07 GMT

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, john walsh wrote:
> I know the default file served in the /html/ tree is index.html

Actually, it is whatever is on the DirectoryIndex line.  Usually that is
index.html.

> but what is the default file served from the /cgi-bin/ tree ?

If you are using ScriptAlias (and that is the most common configuration),
then you will get an error if you request a directory under /cgi-bin/
without a filename.

> eg. I have a directory of scripts, but I want a user to be able to just goto
> that
> directory (like a web page) without specifying a script name - so then my
> 'index.html' file will be picked up and welcome them...

If you need that, you'll need to remove ScriptAlias and replace it with
something like

Alias /cgi-bin /usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin
<Directory /usr/local/apache2/cgi-bin>
Options ExecCGI
SetHandler cgi-script
# The following sets the script served when the directory
# is requested
DirectoryIndex index.cgi
</Directory>

Joshua.