httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Installation help needed
Date Mon, 08 Sep 2003 15:45:44 GMT
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, mark london wrote:

> I'm trying to install the latest version of apache on redhat 8.0,
> where 2.0.40 was originally installed using RPMs.  I need a later
> version of apache so I can install the latest version of PHP, which
> requires at least 2.0.44
>
> The original installation has the following module files:

> I tried building apache using the redhat layout, but this module
> directory was not updated, and the new apache binary complained about
> incompatibilities with some of these modules.
>
> So then I tried building apache from scratch into the directory
> /usr/local/apache2, but these files are not to be found in
> /usr/local/apache2/modules   Do I need these files any more?  If I
> do, how are they built?  Thanks.

I'd start by removing the redhat rpm.  Otherwise things will get very
confusing.

For the modules files, you need to know that there are two ways of
compiling an apache module: statically and dynamically (DSO).  Static
modules are included in the httpd binary and therefore don't need a
separate module file.

See:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/install.html
for information on choosing which modules you want to compile
and choosing whether to make them static or dynamic.

Joshua.