httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] rotatelogs limitation
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:22:37 GMT

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, Aidan Whitehall wrote:
> After adding a few more sites and one reboot later, a number of services
> didn't restart properly. I'm pretty sure that the number of rotatelogs
> processes was the culprit -- I removed the ErrorLog reference in each
> Virtual Host entry (thereby halving the number of rotatelogs processes),
> rebooted and, voila -- everything's running smoothly after a reboot.
>
> Is the limit to the number of rotatelogs processes dictated by just the
> amount of available RAM on the server? And is there a smarter way of
> achieving daily rolling access and error logs, either by using
> rotatelogs differently or using a.n.other utility?

On unix systems, this is usually caused by running out of file-handles,
but it could by any sort of resource limitation.  I would try starting up
apache manually to see what kind of errors it generates.

Most people address this problem by logging all their virtual hosts to one
access logs and splitting later, as described here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/logs.html#virtualhost
Unfortunately, there is no similar solution for error logs.

Joshua.