httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Proper functioning of Redirect
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:45:34 GMT

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Ari Davidow wrote:

> We moved some files (don't ask) and want to redirect people to the new
> locations. (Yes, we could use Alias so that people don't see the
> changes, but there is more to it.)
>
> So, I tried a simple
>
> Redirect /foo   /now/letus/be/convoluted/bar
>
> and got a message that the Redirect must always go to a complete URL, e.g.,
>
> Redirect /foo   http://mysite.com/now/letus/be/convoluted/bar
>
> Is there any way around this? Is Alias the only part of mod_alias that
> doesn't need the protocol and domain to be restated? I guess it doesn't
> matter--it's only a few characters, and the action is still the same. I
> just want to be sure I am understanding this correctly.

When apache generates a redirect, it must use a full URL in the Location:
header.  So it is better if you specify a full URL to be clear about where
you want things to go.

If you really want to avoid that, then you can use mod_rewrite, which can
construct the full URL for you.  I believe later versions of apache may
also accept a url-path.

Joshua.