httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Hamed Hashemi" <ham...@bellsouth.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Download/Mime Type Issue
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 04:33:48 GMT

Hi all,

I've been having this very weird issue about downloading a file and I am not
sure whether or not this is related to the mime types. For any type of file
that is listed as a mime type but not a JPG/TXT/HTML, I have to access this
file through a link. Meaning, I cannot copy-paste the direct URL into the
address bar. The browser reports an error saying the it is unable to
download the file. I have been testing this with wav/mp3/rm files, but other
files also have this problem.

I noticed this issue when making a PHP script that would return a SMIL
content-type header with proper contents. The same happens if I use
header("Location: <URL to file>"). I've been checking the access logs and it
is showing the file is being sent correctly with the proper number of bytes,
but the browser is not picking up on it.

Is there any ideas about why this is happening? Also, I can put a link to
this file on any other website so it is not an issue of the Referer address.

I've been testing this on multiple browsers, on multiple computers, with
multiple people. And, I've tested this on other webservers and they do not
have this problem -- only my installation.

Thanks for the help. FYI, it is Apache 1.3.28

Thanks.