httpd-users mailing list archives

From "john walsh" <john_co...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache has FrontPage Server Installation
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 10:04:44 GMT

David,

>Many thanks for your insightful elaboration to move away from FrontPage
>as a web development tool.
>
>Frontpage is easy to understand and easy to use. I do enjoy the use of
>FrontPage for its ease of use and most importantly to me, I find it very
>easy to understand the software ( the use of it, that is). It is
>intended as a statement of opinion ; but not expressly represent a
>statement of fact or information about FP's capability in their HTML
>generation. Anyway, thanks for the tip and write-up on FP's html
>generation, will keep that in mind when I look at their HTML codes.
>
>Having said that, I next wonder if there is a need to use these web
>developers at all, since most of you seem to purport the idea of
>hand-coding instead of web "IDEs". I am pretty new to web development
>still. What approach should a web hobbyist take when developing his
>site? When should he hand-code the pages, when should he use web
>development softwares like DreamWeaver ( considering most of you are
>already ?

For that you have to decide what you want...

Do you want to learn html or not ?
For me, I would say its better to have some understanding of what you are
doing,
so for me I would start with hand coding and only move onto a WYSIWYG app
when I need to.

Do you want to support the idea of an open internet, or Microsoft ?
May sound a bit dramatic, but in choosing FP you are going against all the
open
standards and choosing a system which is designed to promote Microsoft and
exclude everyone else. If you are happy with that, fine - for me, I would
try
to stick with the international standards.

Compatibility, reliability - how important are these things to you...

And all of these issues are not for this email list - on the question of can
and how
do you use FP with Apache, it has been answered - yes you can, but expect to
have problems.

For me, I would rather try to avoid having these problems, so I would choose
not
to use FP. There are other web development tools out there which at least
conform to the standards, so I would choose one of them.

The message from this list is quite clear - do not use FP, but thats not to
say that
you should not use web apps to help you build a decent web site.

John.