httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Is the default installation on windows secure?
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:37:14 GMT

If you have a server connected to the public internet, you will get
port-scanned eventually. Then you will get requests on port 80. Don't
think you can hide on the web...

>I then looked up the access.log and there was a number of
>strange loggings!
>Were all kinds of .dll's and .exe's was called.

Already sounds like code red and nimbda worms. These are infected IIS
servers trying to pass the bug. Happily, apache is immune.

>The response from Apache seemed to be 404 for the most of the strange
>things, but there was some 3xx and even 200.

Since apache doesn't respond to these IIS back-door requests (404) you
have nothing to worry about. What was the 200 for? robots.txt?
favicon.ico? These are bona-fide files which can be found on any server.

>Not knowing anything about the security of Apache I stopped
>the service...
>So I wonder: How safe is the default installation?

A whole lot safer than a IIS installation! (you would now be infected
with code-red if you were running IIS unpatched).

>What can I do to make it safer?

You are wise to worry about security but so far you need have no
concerns. You can't stop people making requests if you connect to the
internet. Nothing you have seen indicates a successful exploit or attack
on your system.

If you keep your apache up-to-date and upgrade it whenever a new version
comes out, your server will be among the most secure on the web. You
might find the following article interesting:
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/1527/1/

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>// Anders