httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] APACHE set up on Linux - Ouch! ap_mm_create
Date Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:02:26 GMT

This problem arises because your OS is not set up with semaphores
enabled or with insufficient semaphores. A fix can be found by putting
"Ouch! ap_mm_create" into Google and checking some of the hits. This one
is pretty good: http://support.rackforce.com/kb.php?view=90 (there's a
mistake in the HTML - you might find it easier to read if you "view
source"). For the record, I'll paste it here:

<quote>

This error can occur because the default RedHat limits for semaphores
are not enough for the number of domains for Apache on the server.
Like File Descriptor limits, we can increase this in sysctl.conf.  This
is the test for it.

The problem:

Apache won't start, and reports this error.
[root@1t3 httpd]# service httpd restart
Stopping httpd: [FAILED]
Starting httpd: Ouch! ap_mm_create(1048576, "/var/run/httpd.mm.23223")
failed
Error: MM: mm:core: failed to acquire semaphore (No space left on
device): OS: Identifier removed
[FAILED]

We can see the limits by listing the limits with ipcs -l
[root@1t3 httpd]# ipcs -l
------ Shared Memory Limits --------
max number of segments = 4096
max seg size (kbytes) = 32768
max total shared memory (kbytes) = 8388608
min seg size (bytes) = 1

------ Semaphore Limits --------
max number of arrays = 128
max semaphores per array = 250
max semaphores system wide = 32000
max ops per semop call = 32
semaphore max value = 32767

------ Messages: Limits --------
max queues system wide = 16
max size of message (bytes) = 8192
default max size of queue (bytes) = 16384

The quick fix to get the server up and running is to change the
kernel.sem limits as follows.
[root@1t3 httpd]# echo 128 64000 128 384 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem

Check the limits and you will see the changes.
[root@1t3 httpd]# ipcs -l
------ Shared Memory Limits --------
max number of segments = 4096
max seg size (kbytes) = 32768
max total shared memory (kbytes) = 8388608
min seg size (bytes) = 1

------ Semaphore Limits --------
max number of arrays = 384
max semaphores per array = 128
max semaphores system wide = 64000

max ops per semop call = 128
semaphore max value = 32767

------ Messages: Limits --------
max queues system wide = 16
max size of message (bytes) = 8192
default max size of queue (bytes) = 16384

Try restarting apache, and it should work now.
[root@1t3 httpd]# service httpd restart
Stopping httpd: [FAILED]
Starting httpd: [ OK ]
[root@1t3 httpd]#

To make this permement, we need to add the following to the
/etc/sysctl.conf
kernel.sem = 128 64000 128 384

This will ensure that these default limits are increased and this issue
is resolved.

Ian Wilson
Support Manager

</quote>

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>delta

>Diese E-mail ist eine private und persönliche Kommunikation. Sie hat

views of the sender's company.