httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Authentication Problems
Date Tue, 09 Sep 2003 10:27:07 GMT

You don't need "AllowOverride AuthConfig" in the <Directory> container.
This directive says: "allow .htaccess files in this directory to
override the main config for AuthConfig directives only". Usually, you
use this if you are going to put all your AuthConfig directives
(AuthType, AuthName etc.) in a .htaccess file. Since you have put all
yours in a <Directory> container in the main config, you don't need the
.htaccess file nor, consequently, the AllowOverride directive. The two
methods are alternative to each other and you shouldn't mix them.

The danger is that if you *do* happen to have a .htaccess file in
/www/domain.com/clients and it contains some AuthConfig directives, they
will override what you have in the main config and could screw things
up.

So check that first and post back if there's still a problem.

Rgds,
Owen Boyle

>I've checked that the paths being used are correct, and that all files
>reference exist and have the right permissions. The
>AuthUserFile has been
>created using the following command:
>
>htpasswd -c /www-passwd-file/users test
>
>The problem is that I'm not getting a prompt. Rather, the
>authentication
>fails immediately with the following message:
>
>Authorization Required
>This server could not verify that you are authorized to access
>the document
>requested. Either you supplied the wrong credentials (e.g.,
>bad password),
>or your browser doesn't understand how to supply the
>credentials required
>
>The browser in question is IE6.
>
>I've traweled through a number of FAQ's and postings, but
>still can see
>where I'm going wrong.
>
>Any suggestions for a solution would be welcomed.
>
>Cheers
>
>Robert

>Sign-up for a FREE BT Broadband connection today!
>http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband

views of the sender's company.