httpd-users mailing list archives

From "MASSA Danilo" <Danilo.MA...@iveco.com>
Subject [users@httpd] Problem with reverse proxy and Lotus Domino
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:14:48 GMT
I am testing apache httpd software (version 2.0.47) as reverse proxy for
a web application written on a Lotus Domino AS.
The Lotus Domino databse that contains the data that must be pulished
does not require any kind of authentication, while the reverse proxy
(made with apache) requires a Basic authetication.

The problem arise when the apache, acting as a reverse proxy, send the
user credentials (used to autheticate the user to the reverse proxy)
also to the Lotus Domino AS. The Lotus Domino AS at this point pretend
to receive a valid user, also if the database used for the application
has no authentication requirements (Default and Anonymous user are
correctly defined inside Lotus).

My question is:
Is it possible to instruct apache, when it is acting as reverse proxy,
to NOT propagate the user credentials (i.e. Authenticated field inside
the HTTP header)?

In order to solve this problem I have already tried to:
- put a user inside the ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse directives (i.e.
I have used a url parameter like
http://user:password@lotusdominomachine.sigh.com)
- activate an external filter (mod_external_filter) but this seems
called by apache only when it send data to a browser, not when it call
another web server during a reverse proxy activity
- search inside the mod_rewrite docs (but it seems to be able to modify
only URLs and not the HTTP header values)

Someone has ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Danilo Massa