httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff B. Meisenhelder" <popt...@poptartweb.org>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Hackers hacking my Apache HTTP Server?
Date Tue, 02 Sep 2003 04:47:14 GMT
To my knowledge, a firewall like ZoneAlarm won't really help because
your port 80 (or whatever port you are running Apache on) must remain
open for your server to work.

Just my .02,

--Jeff Meisenhelder, poptart@poptartweb.org

  _____

From: David [mailto:amdawong@starhub.net.sg]
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 11:35 PM
To: HTTP Server Users

Hi guys,

I am a complete newbie to HTTP server.

After some reading from online tutorials and docs from the Apache site,
I managed to get the server up and running.
I now can host my own website and I am happy with it.

However, I have read a lot about hackers hacking into people's
webservers. I do not what webserver they are able to hack into.
I do not know how they do it and that is why I am a little concern here.

1.	How secure is the Apache HTTP Server ?

2.	If the HTTP server is not secure, will installing a
firewall(i.e. free ones like ZoneAlarm) help ?

Warmest Regards
David