httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jason" <j...@cartmanager.net>
Subject [users@httpd] master apache PID takes unusual amounts of CPU time (1.3.27)
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:48:46 GMT
The apache children seem to be processing fine.  However it seems that my master apache PID
is taking unusual amounts of CPU to do
its job.

It's averaging 50+ percent usage (dual p600), and occasionally 100%, when it is serving less
then 8 requests a second (a fair amount
of mod_perl CGI scripts included)

What would cause the master process to consume excessive CPU cycles?  Is there a way I can
find out what its doing?

Possibly relevant portions of my httpd.conf below

Timeout 120
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 500
KeepAliveTimeout 15
MinSpareServers 5
MaxSpareServers 15
StartServers 15
MaxClients 100
ListenBacklog 511
MaxRequestsPerChild 1000
ExtendedStatus On

And a fair number (less then 400) of virtual hosts.

Server Version: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) PHP/4.3.2 mod_perl/1.28 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/0.9.6b