httpd-users mailing list archives

From Richard Gration <rich...@zync.co.uk>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Seg Fault
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2003 19:45:40 GMT
Brent wrote:
> ...exit signal Segmentation fault (11)
>
> This is occuring on only a few pages of my website.  It sometimes occurs
> when loops are encountered.  By commenting out the PHP loops(for, foreach)
> the page loads successfully.  But it only happens on one page in
> particular, but not every single time.  Seems to be random, very, very
> odd.

[ 1.3.x specific, YMMV with 2.x ]

Intermittent errors are usually due to not hitting the same child
process every time. Something happens in a request cycle which leaves an
httpd child process in a state where it will segfault if it tries to
serve another request. But you can't guarantee to hit a particular child
process in a forking environment. So the page is served successfully a
number of times, then you hit a wounded child process and it segfaults.

Try starting apache as httpd -X. This causes apache not to fork and a
single process will serve all requests. This will let you narrow down
what's causing the problem.

HTH
Rich