httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual hosting
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2003 01:55:08 GMT
message message wrote:

> Ok . How do you become a registrar ?

You don't.  Becomming an ICANN accredited registrar takes a lot of cash
and knowledge, and based on your posts here you lack that knowledge
about how DNS works.

> so that I  keep a pool of  unregistered domain names which I can then
> virtual host using Apache ?

www.godaddy.com
www.joker.com
www.gandi.com
etc...

There are hundreds of registrars out there.  You can register in bulk
from many of them as well.  GoDaddy has very competitive prices, around
$9/year for the .com/.net/.org domains.

You can get free domain names from the ".tk" registry but I sure as heck
wouldn't base a business off that... You'd be completely at their mercy,
have no control over the DNS zone, and they use that godawful frameset
method for "redirection" (which is not actually a form of redirection at
all) which makes usability of the site a real pain.  And I'm sure their
TOS state that it's for personal/hobby use anyway.

> I am interested in the complete process of virtual hosting so
> that if a user a types www.mycompany.com or www.mycompany2.com
> in their browser  anywhere in the world they would be redirected to
> my apache webserver.
> My Apache webserver is obviously running on my machine connected to the
> internet.

Register those domains with a registrar.  Provide a DNS server such that
lookups for those domains return an 'A' (address) record that contains
the IP address of your Apache server.  You can either run the DNS server
yourself or use the services of a site such as zoneedit.com.  Some
registrars have a lot of value-added services that you can add on to the
basic domain registration, one of which is DNS hosting.

You probably want to use name-based virtual hosting, not IP-based.  I
believe that virtual hosting no longer qualifies for ARIN/RIPE/etc
guidelines for IP allocation.  In other words it's hard these days to
get large allocations of IP addresses, it's much easier to just do
name-based vhosting on one IP address.

Brian