httpd-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Tabuenca <dtabu...@cs.ucr.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 and REMOTE_USER
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:46:12 GMT
    We used to use FastCGI under Apache 1 to run our php scripts without
any problems. When we switched to Apache 2.0 our scripts seemed unable
to access the REMOTE_USER variable. After some investigation it seems
that the reason is that while the php scripts are protected with
.htaccess files, the actual php.fcgi binary is not (and shouldn't be
because not all the php scripts are protected). My relevant
configuration is:

AddHandler fastcgi-scrit .fcgi
AddHandler php-fastcgi .php

Action php-fastcgi /cgi/php.fcgi

My htdocs looks something like:

/htdocs/
       .htaccess  (limits protected.php)
       protected.php (Prints REMOTE_USER)
       unprotected.php
       cgi/
             php.fcgi

Under the old configuration (Apache 1.0)  protected .php would print out
REMOTE_USER=username. Under the new one it  prints out REMOTE_USER=

If I protect cgi/php.fcgi with an .htaccess file then I will get the
correct user from protected.php but I can no longer run unprotected.php
because it makes it require authentication. Does anyone know a way
around this?