httpd-users mailing list archives

From Josh Wyatt <Josh.Wy...@hcssystems.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Web Site Authentication
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:16:09 GMT
David wrote:
> Dear YC,
>
> I recently implemented a basic authentication system by making some
> changes to the configuration httpd.conf and the use of .htaccess file
> technique.
>
> However, that approach have several limitations (unable to recognise the
> state of the browser, time out events, re-identify the user when he
> leaves and re-enter the realm). I understand PHP is the way to go if I
> want to implement more advanced features.
>
> I am in an attempt to pick up sufficient PHP to implement the
> authentication system. I wonder if u can share your experience with me.
> Many thanks! Samples and snippets of implementation codes and
> configuration will be extremely helpful.
>

> Regards,
> David

PHP might be one way to go, but if you are deploying a Perl CGI application, check out Averist.
http://www.nongnu.org/averist/

I've used it with good success in the past.  It has a wide variety of backend authentication
options, such as flat file
(such as you're probably using with .htaccess), LDAP, DBM, SQL, etc.  Best of all it is GPL
(don't let the URL domain
name fool you...).  The developer is responsive to motivated user requests as well.

Thanks, and good luck,
Josh