httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] stealing pictures?
Date Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:11:55 GMT
> Arthur Kerpician wrote:
>
> I’m positive that at least someone has posted the same problem
> somewhere, but I cannot find my answer with just some keywords.
>
> I’m trying to log (or somehow track) which sites are using pictures
> hosted on my server. I’m having a webcam and I want to know which
> sites are displaying the image on their sites (as an external link),
> without any reference to mine. I think there must be a way to log the
> requests to a particular file on my server.

If it were me, I'd just write a perl script that parses the log files
for URLs that match a given pattern and presents a list of referers.

A somewhat easier way to do this would be to use the "SetEnvIf" to set a
variable if the request is for one of these images that you're tracking,
then use that flag with a "CustomLog" statement to generate a log file
of referers for that image/resource/url.

Brian