httpd-users mailing list archives

From Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Help!: Error 400 when setting up Virtual Host
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:41:02 GMT
yc lim wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
>    thanks for the tip. Yes, I believe my apache is misbehaving due to SSL.
> This is what I did:
>
>    Step 1: I commented out the 'Include conf.d/*.conf" line and restated
> httpd. True enough the virtual host started working. But I realised that by
> commenting out the .conf files, I also disabled alot of features (php
> included). My webpages run extensively on php.
>
>   Step 2: Instead of commenting out all the .conf files, I renamed the
> ssl.conf file to a .txt file. Restarted the service, and now my virtual
> domains are working, so is my php.
>
>   Right now I don't require any SSL but I would like to know what went wrong
> with my ssl.conf. I might require SSL in future.  (my original ssl.conf is
> attached). Kindly advise.

In order to use SSL, you need a certificate, which you probably haven't
created.  Doing this either involves becoming your own Certificate
Authority (CA) and self-certifying your new cert, or paying some fee to
some company like Verisigh or Thawte to sign your cert.

That aside, since you're using name-based virtual hosting you may need
to change the SSL vhost to "*:443" instead of "_default_:443", I'm not
sure if that makes a difference or not.  You'd also have to set the
"ServerName" correctly inside that vhost section, etc.

If you want to do this, I am positive there is a nice HOWTO that walks
one through creating a self-signed certificate and setting up a server
for SSL.  The caveat with going self-signed is that every browser will
pop up a warning box when connecting because a self-signed certificate
really isn't very trustworthy at all: "Trust me, I'm who I say I am."  I
think that's why the Apache docs refer to this as the "snake oil"
method.

Brian