httpd-users mailing list archives

From Webmaster <eag...@chatministries.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] help needed on multiple domain root directories ver 1.3.28 Win32
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:48:55 GMT
Hi Jonas,

At 23:00 24-09-03 +0200, you wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:40:00 +0900, Webmaster wrote:
>
>> I have been learning about Apache httpd with several on my home LAN
>> which uses a D-Link DSL-504 router/hub/switch on which I have set
>> up port redirection to a specific machine.
>
>I guess the above means that the it's a NAT router, so you're using a
private address space inside it. Right?

yep

>> I then set up a second dyndns host, and modified the httpd.conf as
>> per dyndns instructions. Both hosts appear to be accessible
>> externally, but internally I can't see the second vhost.
>
>Most home NAT router's can not handle it when you try to connect from the
inside to the outside IP of the router and back inside again. Technically
it'd a rather simple thing to get a router to do, but most of them don't
anyway. Don't know why.

>The result is that to connect to the inside machines using domain names
you have to handle the domain resolution locally. If you only have a few
machines, just edit their hosts files manually to add the local machines.

>If you have a large number of machines, that's cumbersome. In that case
you could set up a local DNS server and make it master of some local
domain. Give the virtual hosts server aliases using names in your local
domain. Something like:

>ServerName warrinavalley.dyndns.org
>ServerAlias *.warrinavalley.dyndns.org
>ServerAlias warrinavalley.local

I already have something like that
I think it is a limitation in the version of Windows I'm using. It is 98
(Second Edition) and I'm reluctant to go for larger bloatware just for this
one thing.

What I might do is to organise a page of links to go to the local
directory/file to access them. Sounds the easy way out for windows boxes,
as QNX (with which I'm reasonably familiar) sees them quite happily.

Thanks for your help.

>I din't know if there are any DNS proxies that can be used for this as
well. The nicest alternative would be a local DNS proxy (or a simple
caching server) wich check's it's own hosts file before asking the real DNS
system. Wouldn't be suprised if someone had made such a thing.

>Or, you could exchange the little NAT router for an old PC running OpenBSD
and set that up so accessing the local machine with the external IP address
works fine. :-)