httpd-users mailing list archives

From Webmaster <eag...@chatministries.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] help needed on multiple domain root directories ver 1.3.28 Win32
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:40:53 GMT
Hi again Robert,

At 14:51 24-09-03 +0200, you wrote:
>Webmaster wrote:
>> If I type the LAN IP address (which is http://192.168.0.2) or the computer
>> name (which is http://goldeneagle) of the machine on which the Apache
>> server is installed into the browser url window of ANY Windows98SE machine
>> on the LAN (including the one the server is on), I consistently reach the
>> eagles-lair.dyndns.org website - and that alone (using IE 5.5 or Opera
>7.x).
>
>This is because when you access the site like that, your browser won't send
>the hostname in the request (Host: header), so Apache cannot deside which
>Virtual host to server from. In such cases, Apache always choose the first
>virtual host defined. Try to change the order of them, restart Apache and
>see what happens.

okay, what is the correct syntax to use for the host:header please?

It's late at night here, I'm off to bed, will change the order in the
morning and do a restart :)   let you know how I go there.

>> Trying to address the server in any other way returns a "could not locate
>> remote server" or similar response.
>
>By "any other way", I assume you mean by using the dyndns.org address? If
>you do nslookup on the domain, do you get your server's correct IP? Both of
>your domains resolve to 150.101.106.134 for me. Do you get the eagles-lair
>site if you enter http://150.101.106.134/ (or whatever it is at the moment)?

Well, I am unable to "dial out" through the router and come back in to see
either the xxxxx.dyndns.org addresses or the 150.x.x.x IP  -  and was told
by both the D-Link tech who helped me with port redirection and the dyndns
instructions that that would be so because you can't ever see your own
server from the "outside". Which sounded odd to me, but seems to be the case.

The message I get in IE5.5 is "Internet Explorer was unable to link to the
Web page you requested. The page might be temporarily unavailable."

Richard Ashton