httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Aidan Whitehall" <AidanWhiteh...@Fairbanks.co.uk>
Subject [users@httpd] rotatelogs limitation
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 19:11:16 GMT
I've got about 25 sites on a W2K server (dual PIII 800, 400Mb RAM)
that's running Apache 2 with Virtual Hosts. rotatelogs is used on each
site for both the TransferLog and ErrorLog to create rolling log files
for each day, as in:

TransferLog "|bin/rotatelogs.exe
'D:/pathToLogsFolder/www_access_%Y%m%d.log' 86400"
ErrorLog "|bin/rotatelogs.exe 'D:/pathToLogsFolder/www_error_%Y%m%d.log'
86400"

After adding a few more sites and one reboot later, a number of services
didn't restart properly. I'm pretty sure that the number of rotatelogs
processes was the culprit -- I removed the ErrorLog reference in each
Virtual Host entry (thereby halving the number of rotatelogs processes),
rebooted and, voila -- everything's running smoothly after a reboot.

Is the limit to the number of rotatelogs processes dictated by just the
amount of available RAM on the server? And is there a smarter way of
achieving daily rolling access and error logs, either by using
rotatelogs differently or using a.n.other utility?

Thanks

--
Aidan Whitehall <mailto:aidanwhitehall@fairbanks.co.uk>
Macromedia ColdFusion Developer