httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] help needed on multiple domain root directories ver 1.3.28 Win32
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:00:21 GMT
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:40:00 +0900, Webmaster wrote:

> I have been learning about Apache httpd with several on my home LAN
> which uses a D-Link DSL-504 router/hub/switch on which I have set
> up port redirection to a specific machine.

I guess the above means that the it's a NAT router, so you're using a private address space
inside it. Right?

> I then set up a second dyndns host, and modified the httpd.conf as
> per dyndns instructions. Both hosts appear to be accessible
> externally, but internally I can't see the second vhost.

Most home NAT router's can not handle it when you try to connect from the inside to the outside
IP of the router and back inside again. Technically it'd a rather simple thing to get a router
to do, but most of them don't anyway. Don't know why.

The result is that to connect to the inside machines using domain names you have to handle
the domain resolution locally. If you only have a few machines, just edit their hosts files
manually to add the local machines.

If you have a large number of machines, that's cumbersome. In that case you could set up a
local DNS server and make it master of some local domain. Give the virtual hosts server aliases
using names in your local domain. Something like:

ServerName warrinavalley.dyndns.org
ServerAlias *.warrinavalley.dyndns.org
ServerAlias warrinavalley.local

I din't know if there are any DNS proxies that can be used for this as well. The nicest alternative
would be a local DNS proxy (or a simple caching server) wich check's it's own hosts file before
asking the real DNS system. Wouldn't be suprised if someone had made such a thing.

Or, you could exchange the little NAT router for an old PC running OpenBSD and set that up
so accessing the local machine with the external IP address works fine. :-)

Regards
/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org