httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jonas Eckerman <jonas_li...@frukt.org>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual domain, sub domain questions
Date Sat, 20 Sep 2003 12:24:59 GMT
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:43:10 -0400, support@codefit.com wrote:

> Do I also need to add the www.any.name.maindomain.com to DNS server
> records and create MX records for www.any.name.maindomain.com on
> DNS?

Yes.

>  Or would any.name.maindomain.com automatically point to the
> existing DNS and MX records for maindomain.com domain via DNS?

Not normally. You can use wildcard domains for this, but that's not recommended unless you
know *exactly* why you have the need for it (for example, I use a wildcard MX for *.frukt.org,
but that's for a internet mail<>FTN mail gateway that can understand a number of different
adressing schemes and handles an arbitrary amount of FTN hosts).

> Would httpd.conf be all I need edit to set this up (that and my
> MTA)?

No. The httpd server has nothing at all to do with the DNS lookups. Noone is going to ask
your http server what IP adress to use when connecting to a doman name.

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org