httpd-users mailing list archives

From Todd Weaver <t...@m2n.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Virtual domain, sub domain questions, [--off-topic]
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:33:05 GMT
[--off-topic]

On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 01:53:19AM -0400, support@codefit.com wrote:
> >> One last question, do I also need to register www.any.name.maindomain.com
> >> with the domain registrar of the main domain? Such as with netsol
> >> or dotster, etc. and attach the sub to the main registrars DNS address?
> >
> >Is the zone maindomain.com registered to you? If so, you are responsible
> >for any hosts you configure the authorative DNS, and do not have to
> >'register' anything that lies below it. Then, I may not perfectly
> >understand your situation.
> >

> Yes the maindomain.com is registered by me, I set up the name server
> addresses at netsol and pointed them to the DNS server for maindomain.com.
> If I want to attach or create a subdomain.maindomain.com, I don't need
> to do anything with the registrars entries do I?

Simply put. No.
You bought a domain inside of a Top Level Domain (tld) from a domain registrar, who can resell
domains.

You then own everything and can control everything that is "below" that domain.

so you can have host0.maindomain.com, host1.maindomain.com,
node.slice.server.maindomain.com

Some DNS server hosts your Primary DNS.
And others secondary off of that

	$ host -t ns maindomain.com
	maindomain.com name server dns2.1-800-hosting.com.
	maindomain.com name server dns1.1-800-hosting.com.

*usually* one of the Nameserver hosts listed is the Primary.

In short, what has to happen is your primary dns server must ADD an A (and MX as I believe
you mentioned before) record.

For example (and it's brief):

                IN A            123.45.67.89
www             IN A            123.45.67.89

home            IN CNAME        www
web             IN CNAME        www
slice.server    IN CNAME        www

That would tell slice.server to go to www, which tells www to go to 123.45.67.89, which is
where your server has it's httpd process listening on port 80, and your httpd is setup to
host www and slice.server with different configurations.

So your list:

1) find your primary dns server.
2) have the admin add your requested A record to your dns and reload it.
   a) The change will take as long as the TTL is set for and propagation.
   b) read up on DNS and BIND.
3) ping test host.maindomain.com.
   ping host.maindomain.com
   (if dns is setup properly you'll get your ip and packets back)
4) setup your apache server to handle host.maindomain.com.