httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] PHP Problems
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2003 04:55:06 GMT
Hi Robert,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:13:47AM +0200, Robert Andersson wrote:
> Ok, although I still cannot understand what PHP would do as input filter.
> AFAIK, input filters are used to filter the incoming request, and as mod_php
> cannot determine whether its actions (whatever that is) apply to the
> resource in this stage, why it does it beats me. Oh well...

PHP only needs to be run as an input filter if you wish to use it to handle
POST and PUT requests (among others).  The reason for this is that those
methods include data in the body of the request; not just the headers, as
is the case for the GET method.

The difference between input and output filters is the data they work on;
input filters get the request, while output filters see the response.
Both will see headers, but only the input filter will see the request
*body*.

Now I'm not at all familiar with the code, but I assume that when PHP is
called on the input chain, all it does is pick the data out of the request.
Then, PHP is called again on the output chain with a response body to
parse.  The data picked up on the input chain is still available at this
point.

My knowledge of all this is relatively high level, so if someone familiar
with the code can correct me it would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Zac