httpd-users mailing list archives

From Jason P Holland <jholl...@cs.selu.edu>
Subject [users@httpd] Separate Instances of Apache for SSL/Non-SSL Sites
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 15:39:32 GMT

Hello everyone,
  We are trying to setup a single machine, with a single ip, to host
multiple ssl and non-ssl based websites.  I'm aware of the limitations of
that, and thought I could get around it by having 2 instances of apache.
The first instance would be for the non-ssl websites, and of course, the
second for ssl enabled sites only.  Each respective instance would be
using virtual hosts as well.

Our machine is running RH9 with apache 2.0.40-21.3.  I've setup the
following:

for non-ssl based sites, just use the config default files and binary
/etc/httpd
/etc/init.d/httpd
/usr/sbin/httpd

for ssl-based sites, i copied the above files and dirs and modifed so that
ssl is enabled, and nothing else, including any port changes and things
that might point to the old httpd binary.  I made a copy of the httpd
binary as httpd-ssl
/etc/httpd-ssl
/etc/init.d/httpd-ssl
/usr/sbin/httpd-ssl
/etc/sysconfig/httpd-ssl

I've modified the httpd.conf files so that they respectively startup what
they need.  I can get the non ssl sites to come up fine, but I cannot seem
to get the ssl based site to come up

[root@source conf.d]# service httpd-ssl start
Starting httpd-ssl: (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not bind
to address 192.168.1.3:443
                                                           [FAILED]
[root@source conf.d]#

There is nothing listening on port 443 according to netstat -lnp, so I'm
baffled as to why there is a problem with apache starting up.  I even
tried shutting down the non-ssl enabled site, so NO other httpd processes
are running, and it still won't start up.

Could someone offer some help?  Possibly take a look at my config files,
or recommend a site to look at?  I've google'd for this, but haven't found
a solution that works.

This error seems to point to the fact that something is running on that
port, but as I mentioned, nothing is.  Thanks for any help!

Jason